Two benches facing the pond at our church were weather-worn and in need of repair. The wrought iron had pitted and rusted and the boards had rotted through. I took them back to my driveway workshop for rejuvenation.
Before, missing some rotted boards.
Afrormosia, a weather resistant hardwood from Africa. Purchased from Alva Hardwoods.
Cutting the curved back piece was no problem on the band saw.
I ripped the wide boards down to 2.5″ wide, then rounded the edges on the router. One coat of Teak Oil brought out the grain.
Nice grain. The common name for afrormorsia is “African Teak”.
The wrought iron took as much time as the woodworking. With a wire brush wheel I removed the rust down to bare metal. Then sprayed on Rustoleum flat black.
I masked the frame and the birds, then painted the leaves two-toned green.
Next I masked the leaves and painted the stems a speckled brown.
More masking tape than paint.
The final color, “Hammered Copper”.
Notebook paper put to good use.
One more fine sanding and another coat of oil and they will be ready for the elements.
After, ready to enjoy.