Tall cypress knees make the frame for this “fairy house” and two pecky cypress boards are the foundation.
Thanks for the leaders of the American Heritage Girls in Ft. Myers for asking me to contribute something toward their meetings. Here is a ceremonial bridge that the girls will cross over to help them remember their creed.
I made the decking from recycled pallet lumber. I found a couple of nice, old oak ones that finished well. My compliments to Steve Jackson for his craftsmanship on the pallet walls in this room.
Wood inspires me. I bought this slab of Southern Red Cedar from a mill in Waldo, Florida last year and recently put it to use. We needed a small table next to our recliner where we could rest a cup of coffee and a book.
First I searched for a table with four legs at the right height. Yes, I can make legs but I wanted to spend my time and energy on the top. I found this sturdy, round table with peculiar elephant-like legs that were the ideal dimensions. The frame had a wide foot print so I cut it down to 14″ square, then arranged it under the slab to allow for a “waterfall” joint. The shape of the slab looked like a puddle of cedar that would pour over the edge.
My goal in high school was to be an artist. I took as many advanced placement classes as were available and prepared a portfolio to enter college. But the allure of working outdoors and a steady paycheck drew me to horticulture as a better use of my abilities.
Gardening is a very creative activity that deals with color, texture, design and all of the senses. But I also like to paint and carve and photograph plants.
The youth room at Eagle’s Nest Worship Center in Naples needed a sturdy lectern. More than a music stand, one that could hold notes and books and a drink for the preacher/teacher/speaker. So I made one. I started with rough-sawn Florida cypress for the top, bottom and face frame. Then planed it smooth and straight. For sturdiness and natural appearance I used oak dowels instead of screws. And to help with portability I mounted non-marking rubber tires beneath and made two of them locking for stability. To bring out the natural colors of the wood I applied a hand-rubbed urethane finish.